Monday, May 27, 2013

St. Ives Blemish Control Green Tea Gel Cleanser - Review + DIY Cornmeal Face and Body Scrub

It truly is a sad day when you cannot afford to replace your favorite scrub but not to worry you can improvise!

I have sensitive skin that gets dried out by harsh soaps and chemical so I tend to go for cream, gel or organic cleansers especially where my hair and face is concerned. My body likes when I keep it simple and I tend to have to switch out my skin care products more often than I care to but if I do not I tend to have eczema flare up and if you have it bad you know what I'm talking about.



I purchased St. Ives Green Tea Cleanser months ago but I did not like it at all, it was high suds and the consistency too thin and just a whole host of deficiencies kept presenting themselves until one day I decided to add a couple drops of witch hazel and of course the consistency was even thinner but it produced a little less suds but I still was not happy with it. It may be better for persons with very oily skin, because it tends to dry out my skin and makes it itchy and ashy.





  • Before I added the witch hazel it was extremely drying on my skin and my skin felt tight and itchy at times.
  • After I added the witch hazel my skin did not appear as dry after use and there was little to no tightness or itchy feeling. 
It tones down acne flare ups and it has a pleasant herbal scent. I also appreciated the fact that it is paraben free and claims to be 100% organic. This type of cleanser should be used with discretion, you really only need a tiny drop to wash your face because it is extremely soapy-a little goes a heck of a long way. If you use this cleanser and you have dry skin I suggest layering on you facial moisturizer right after cleansing.

DIY Cornmeal Face and Body Scrub

I had a little more than half bottle of the cleanser left and I decided to go ahead and use the entire portion to make my scrub. In truth the cleanser was not of much use to me because it was still drying out my skin.

You will need
- an empty container whether it be a squeeze bottle or a jar (ensure that it is air tight)
- a teaspoon
- facial cleanser
- witch hazel
- cornmeal
- flour (optional)
- wheat germ (optional)

Combine the cleanser and the witch hazel in the jar. It is better to stir or fold the ingredients in than to shake or whisk since this will cause sudding and you may have to wait for it to settle before you can add your other ingredients. Then fold in your cornmeal as if you were baking a cake...



I did test my concoction to ensure that it met my standards and it did. It was a lot less soapy and the cornmeal grains were not harsh on the skin. It exfoliated with perfection and left the skin feeling velvet soft and satin smooth. I have been using for more than three days and it even works well as a lip exfoliate. One thing is for sure my husband loved it!





Can you see the difference? If you can comment below and don't forget to Join this blog for more beauty tricks and skin care tips. Give it a try and let me know how it works out for you.

Tidbits:
The benefits of this staple food are unquestionable: rich in both vitamins and minerals whether fresh, frozen or canned. We should consider in our quests for better health that genetically modified (GMO) corn is tragically readily available in many markets and is to be avoided. Corn is definitely produce you should buy organic for the best health of body and skin. So as you choose from one of 200 varieties of one of the earliest cultivated crops, you’ll be pleased to know that corn offers an abundance of nutrients for balanced diet internally and externally.
Vitamins and Minerals
The Vitamins C in cornmeal helps build connective tissue and heal wounds rapidly with minimal scarring. One cup of corn provides 16% of the vitamin C requirements. You’ll find Vitamin A will enhance skin’s moisture optimally for desirable elasticity that reduces aged appearance. Due to the content of phytochemicals like phytic acid, cornmeal is a an excellent source of antioxidants for protection against environmental free radicals in the form of pollutants such as chemical preservatives, additives, pesticides and herbicides ever present in the foods we eat. This ancient food is fortified with calcium, potassium, and phosphorus that boost overall health.
Health Remedy
As it turns out, cornmeal is a remedy for some surprising ailments such as nail fungus. When soaked in a bath of porridge over a period of several days, fungus is significantly reduced. In addition, fiber enriched corn is known to: prevent the onset of cancer and muscular degeneration; lower the risk of and manage diabetes; and reduce cholesterol levels.
Skin Benefits
Cornmeal is often touted as one of the finer exfoliants for skin. When you choose a finely ground organic cornmeal as a scrub, it gently removes dead skin cells without irritating skin. It is the perfect solution to alleviate oily flaky skin in hot summer months or in the depths of winter. The cornmeal acts as a sponge absorbing the oil from skin without drying it out– leaving skin soft and shine-free with radiant vitality. It performs as a reliable at-home microdermabrasion treatment that promotes healthy epidermal cell growth. Try cornmeal as a weekly exfoliate for a face that beams with a fresh matte glow.

1 comment:





  1. interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks you





    Facial Cleanser for Dry Skin and Combination Skin

    ReplyDelete